In a highly developed materialistic age, the world becomes more insane and cruel, falling into extremely chaotic status. In this atmosphere, there are none except Holy Words in the Bible, for all Christians to resort to in relief. By the way, a big question comes across our mind. Already long time ago, all kind of crimes and bad things overflowing in this world, why isn’t Jesus coming again, up to now?
To answer this biggest mystery in the world, it seems very essential to peer into the Bible, especially the Revelation. But, when talking about it with some Christians, it may come to somewhat awkward mood: Frequently, most of them contend. “Jesus completed all things through his crucifixion. So, it is not so necessary to discuss about the Revelation.”
Whenever these situations were set up, it used to happen, asking to them like this: “Really, do you think that it was needless for Jesus to call John the Apostle up to the Heaven? And, do you think the Revelation is not relevant to you?” But, there were none, if believing in Jesus, who confidently answered “yes” to it. Maybe, because Jesus said that if any man shall add unto these things or take away, God shall add unto him the plagues and take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book (Revelation 22:18~19):
18. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Indeed, to know why Jesus is not coming yet, it seems very proper to consider the Revelation, the messages from Jesus in heaven, not from Jesus when in earth.
Before getting into the Revelation, let’s take a look at the Matthew’s book in the Bible. When in earth, Jesus gave many words to his disciples about his second coming (Matthew 10:23, 24:34~35):
10:23. But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.
24:34. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
24:35. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Jesus earnestly hoped for his early second coming, longing for reuniting with his disciples and followers. But, he could not but confess that no one knew the day and hour of his second coming, except his Father (Matthew 24:36):
36. But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Whatever it is, two thousand years have gone after his ascending. Now, more than ever, all Christians in the world are longing very much for his Second Advent. But, it has been unknown that there is a critical condition to be fulfilled for his coming. To know what the condition is, let’s make a scrutiny into the Revelation.
In the Apostolic Age, the disciples and followers also longed very much, further than us, for Jesus coming. Needless to say, so did Jesus in the Heaven. After many years from his ascending, Jesus called John – the Apostle captured in Patmos island – up to the Heaven, and gave him a message to send to the seven churches in Asia (Revelation 1:9~11):
9. I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
10. I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
11. Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
John the Apostle saw, in the right hand of God, a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. And, he saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice. “Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? No man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.” Thus, he wept much. Indeed, he worried that Jesus might not get that book. But, of course, it was given to Jesus for his bleeding on the Cross (Revelation 5:1~5):
1. And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.
2. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
3. And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
4. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
5. And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
Right here, it’s crystal clear that this book was not known to Jesus when in earth (Revelation 5:2~5). Of course, it was so to the disciples and his followers.
Whenever each seal was opened, John could see many images (Revelation 6:1~2):
1. And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.
2. And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.
When Jesus opened the fifth seal, it was clearly unfolded why he could not come down yet. At that moment, John the Apostle saw that under the altar the souls of them, slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. And, he heard that they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, do you not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?”
And so, it was said unto them that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled. From here, it is clearly sensed that the Second Advent of Jesus can be done, just when martyred spirits under the altar full up to some fixed number (Revelation 6:9~11):
9. And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
10. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11. And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
After that, it was appeared that four angels were holding the four winds of the earth, helping another angel seal the servants of our God in their foreheads, filling up to the number mentioned above. The exact number fulfilling for Jesus second coming is 144,000 (Revelation 7:1~4):
1. And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
2. And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,
3. Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
4. And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
When completed the number, Jesus is supposed to come again to judge and avenge his and his servants’ blood on them, dwelling on the earth and doing all kinds of crimes and bad things.
In reality, the number is not fulfilled yet. So, until now, Jesus cannot make the Second Advent.